DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED GEOGRAPHY

Department of Geography was established way back in the year 1944 when Ravenshaw was a college affiliated to Patna University. Sri D. Chatterjee was the founder Head of the Department. Teaching in the department has been focussed on the applied components of geographical knowledge, and hence when teaching at post-graduate level was introduced in the year 1981, it was renamed as Department of Applied Geography. The department has created a niche for itself in the eastern India during a short span of over three decades of PG level teaching. This is reflected in the fact that the department attracts student from neighbouring states like Jharkhand and West Bengal as well. It has been almost eight years since Ravenshaw College was upgraded to a University. M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes were started in the department in the year 2007, and during this short period over 25 M.Phil. and 2 Ph.D. scholars have been awarded degree. Our students are placed in various academic/ research institutions in Odisha and outside.

The department has seven permanent faculty having wide ranging specializations including Urban & Regional Planning, Population Geography, Social Geography, Environment and Development Studies.